It has been 10 years since the BIM Handbook was first published, when it emerged as the definitive guide to BIM for both practitioners in the industry as well as students and researchers in academia. Extensively researched and meticulously written by a team of leading researchers and experts in AEC technology, the third edition of the book has just been released. Coming seven years after the second edition, this review explores how the new edition of the book captures all of the many developments in the world of BIM that have emerged in the intervening years.
We see more uses than ever for real-time technology in AEC visualization, coming from all around us. The 2018 Architectural 3D Awards included two real-time categories, and Boeing recently hosted an in-house event to drive the use of virtual reality and other real-time solutions in training and simulation.
Annual technology round-up looks at the new releases of Vectorworks, IDEA, dRofus, IESVE, SDS/2, and Twinmotion, integrations such as IrisVR with Navisworks and Transoft with Vectorworks, and a host of new solutions in various fields including Overtur from Allegion, BSD Speclink Cloud, BIM & Scan AutoCorr, bim.aero, and CYPE Software.
Mark Loomis, Principal at MP Studio, shows how to use a Grasshopper script to model a waffle structure, using its algorithmic design capabilities to automate the process and allow parameters such as the spacing and the width of the ribs of the structure to be adjusted just by moving a number slider.
This article captures the latest updates on automated code compliance in the AEC industry, with new commercial and research efforts as well as some exploratory efforts in governments to determine how it could be applied to streamline the approvals process by regulatory agencies.
- AEC Technology Updates, 2018
- Firm Profile: Luis Vidal + architects
- Modeling a Waffle Structure in Rhino and Grasshopper
- Automated Code Compliance Updates, 2018
- Firm Profile: Wright Engineers
... and more!
The digital version is FREE. To read the magazine online or to download a PDF or iPad version of the latest issue, use this link.
- ALLPLAN announces Allplan 2019 for architects and engineers. >>
- Future. Checked. Solibri introduces Ville Kyytsönen as its new CEO. >>
- Tekla Global BIM Awards Winners announced. >>
- SCIA Engineer 18.1: enhancements in concrete, steel, composite design, IFC4... and much more. >>
- Solibri ARCHICAD 22 Link Released: Industry-leading Checking Functionality for GRAPHISOFT's ARCHICAD Users. >>
- Vectorworks Shines on Construction Computing Awards Shortlist. >>
- Deltek's Honored with Customer Service Awards. >>
- Microsol Resources webinar on Oct 18: Take Your Punch Process Paperless with Bluebeam Revu. >>
- Newforma webinar on Oct 30: The Secrets to Better Contract Management. >>
- Artlantis 7 LIVE! webinar on Nov 7. >>
- Overview of Licaso, ultra-fast climate-based annual daylight simulations for AGi32 and ElumTools. >>
- Q&A With Lean Consultant Hal Macomber: Why I Use Touchplan. >>
- Transoft Solutions and Vectorworks Partnership Offers Vehicle Swept Path Analysis Within Leading Design and BIM Platform. >>
- Cloud based issue tracking platform BIMcollab now available as on-premise version. >>
- Ideate Proudly Sponsors the MCAWW 2018 Conference. >>
- IrisVR Brings VR to Construction Industry with First Ever Navisworks Integration to Support BIM. >>
- Siemens and Bentley Partner in New Digital Solution to Optimize Capital Project Delivery. >>
- IES Case Study: Capitol Tower, Houston Texas. >>
- Avitru and UL Announce Technology Partnership to Simplify Access to Sustainability Data Within MasterSpec. >>
- Case Study: Advanced Substation Design in a Managed Environment using Bentley technology by Elia. >>
- 4MCAD: The Smart Alternative to AutoCAD. >>
- ARCAT Specifications - The most up to date library with 1405 specifications. >>
- BIM6x Template Kits for ARCHICAD updated. >>
- Sefaira blog: Passive Design in 6 Steps -- A Guide for Beginners. >>
- Cityzenith Launches Smart World Pro for Architects and Property Owners. >>
- Keysoft Solutions Case Study: How Use of KeySCAPE LandCADD saved AEC Inc. time and ensured accuracy. >>