At its recent YII 208 conference, Bentley introduced “digital twins” to AEC, launched an open source library, rebranded its solutions, showcased its recent acquisitions such as LEGION and Synchro, and demonstrated its integrations with Microsoft, Siemens, and Atos.
This review explores how the new edition of the BIM Handbook, the definitive guide to BIM for both practitioners and students, captures all of the many developments in the world of BIM that have emerged since the publication of the first edition ten years ago.
We see more uses than ever for real-time technology in AEC visualization, coming from all around us. The 2018 Architectural 3D Awards included two real-time categories, and Boeing recently hosted an in-house event to drive the use of virtual reality and other real-time solutions in training and simulation.
Annual technology round-up looks at the new releases of Vectorworks, IDEA, dRofus, IESVE, SDS/2, and Twinmotion, integrations such as IrisVR with Navisworks and Transoft with Vectorworks, and a host of new solutions in various fields including Overtur from Allegion, BSD Speclink Cloud, BIM & Scan AutoCorr, bim.aero, and CYPE Software.
Mark Loomis, Principal at MP Studio, shows how to use a Grasshopper script to model a waffle structure, using its algorithmic design capabilities to automate the process and allow parameters such as the spacing and the width of the ribs of the structure to be adjusted just by moving a number slider.
- AEC Technology Updates, 2018
- Firm Profile: Luis Vidal + architects
- Modeling a Waffle Structure in Rhino and Grasshopper
- Automated Code Compliance Updates, 2018
- Firm Profile: Wright Engineers
... and more!
The digital version is FREE. To read the magazine online or to download a PDF or iPad version of the latest issue, use this link.
- Deltek Project Information Management Expands Its Global Footprint to Accelerate Adoption Across the Architecture, Engineering and Construction Industries. >>
- Tekla Global BIM Awards Winner: Museum of the Future. >>
- Solibri listed as key software partner in the bSI Awards 2018 for best construction project. >>
- ARCAT SpecWizard: Automated 3-part CSI Specification Writing. >>
- Exclusive live launch by Transoft Solutions on November 27 of NEXUS DDI – The Dynamic Design Solution for Diverging Diamond Interchanges. >>
- Bentley Systems Announces Agreement to Acquire AIworx, Specialists in Machine Learning and IoT Technologies. >>
- ALLPLAN focus on solution portfolio for Building Information Modeling for the BAU trade fair 2019. >>
- Cloud based issue tracking platform BIMcollab now available as on-premise version. >>
- Abvent releases Twinmotion 2019 v2 with BIMobject integration. >>
- Making VR Meetings Actionable: Reports, BIM Metadata & More in IrisVR Prospect 2.4. >>
- Microsol Resources webinar on Dec 4: Making the Move to BIM. >>
- The Connected Enterprise: Introducing the BST Newforma Connector. >>
- IES Launch Significantly Enhanced Operational Building Modelling Tool. >>
- BIM6x 115 point check ArchiCHECKUP: How Healthy are your ARCHICAD Projects? >>
- Online Course on ElumTools: Fully-integrated lighting calculation tool for Autodesk Revit. >>
- ARCHICAD OPEN BIM Case Study from the Netherlands. >>
- Case Study: Vectorworks Brings a Gothic Façade to Light. >>
- Discover what's new in SCIA Engineer 18.1. >>
- Ideate Inc. Launches Bluebeam Sales, Support, and Training Website. >>
- Q&A With Lean Consultant Hal Macomber: Why I Use Touchplan. >>
- Avitru and UL Announce Technology Partnership to Simplify Access to Sustainability Data Within MasterSpec. >>
- Case Study: Advanced Substation Design in a Managed Environment using Bentley technology by Elia. >>
- 4MCAD: The Smart Alternative to AutoCAD. >>
- Sefaira blog: Passive Design in 6 Steps -- A Guide for Beginners. >>
- Keysoft Solutions Case Study: How Use of KeySCAPE LandCADD saved AEC Inc. time and ensured accuracy. >>