Tips and Tricks
In this article, registered architect and Revit expert, Dan Stine, provides a succinct overview of the new features in Revit 2017 that has just been announced by Autodesk, including platform consolidation, an updated text editor, global parameters, depth cueing, and several others.
A pre-linked ArchiCAD template has all the viewpoints of a project linked into sets of deliverables before a model is created. Following from the first three tutorials in the series, this article by Link Ellis, the ArchiCAD Technical Director at BIM6x, focuses on the fourth and final step: Publisher Sets.
At GreenBuild 2015, Autodesk announced a new Autodesk Insight 360 cloud service for building performance analysis which also plugs into the latest version of Revit. This tutorial by Dan Stine provides a comprehensive look at this new tool, along with an overview of the 3D energy model view and automatic zoning feature in Revit 2016 R2.
In this series of tutorials, Link Ellis, the ArchiCAD Technical Director at BIM6x, discusses how to create and work with pre-linked templates in ArchiCAD. Following from the first and second tutorials which discussed the Viewpoints in the Project Map and the Views in the View Map respectively, this tutorial focuses on the third step: the Layouts in the Layout Book.
More Tips and Tricks
Tips and Tricks from the AECbytes Archives
- Revit 2015 - Enhanced Hidden Line Control and More
- This tutorial by Dan Stine looks at the main updates that are likely to affect everyday work in the just-released 2015 version of Revit, including a change related to the Revit user name and some view-related changes including Sketchy Lines, Anti-aliasing, Revit Hidden Lines control, and Revision clouds and tags.
- Mobile Model and Document Review with BIMx Docs
- This tutorial by ArchiCAD expert Tom Simmons provides a comprehensive overview of Graphisoft's BIMx Docs, an innovative "Hyper-model" technology that brings the full scope of Building Information Models into the dynamic touch screen environment of mobile devices, with integrated context-sensitive 2D and 3D building project navigation and smooth transitions that helps even non-professionals find their way in a full BIM project.
- Using the Morph Tool to Create Custom Objects in ArchiCAD
- Commonly viewed as Graphisoft's answer to SketchUp, the Morph Tool is a fairly new addition to ArchiCAD that can be used to create freeform elements. It is also a powerful early design tool for massing studies and for creating custom objects. This tutorial by Tom Simmons shows how it works and how it can be used to create a custom shape in ArchiCAD.
- Assigning Information in ArchiCAD for Material Takeoffs
- A Building Information Model is built on an integrated 3D database. This tutorial by ArchiCAD expert Tom Simmons examine ways that you can use this database to assign properties to building elements and generate a material takeoff in ArchiCAD.
- Creating Panoramas in SketchUp and Pano2VR
- Interactive panoramas are a compelling web technology that gives the viewer a better sense of space compared to any static photo. This tutorial by architect and author, Scott Onstott, shows how easy it is to create this type of interactive experience starting with either a 3D model or a panoramic photo using Garden Gnome Software's Pano2VR image converter for Windows/Mac/Linux.