Exploring the solutions for “city information modeling” from BIM stalwarts such as Autodesk and Bentley to CIM-specific companies such as virtualcitySYSTEMS, Cityzenith, SmarterBetterCities, CyberCity 3D, and Agency9, as well as understanding how CIM is different from the concept of “Smart Cities.”
The implementation of BIM in the design of a new U. S. Navy aircraft carrier pier and the rehabilitation of existing bulkhead—a first for this kind of project—described by John Gaul and Michael Rieger who worked on it.
An overview of the recent Vectorworks Design Summit, an annual event for Vectorworks to showcase its products, upcoming features, and overall vision to existing and prospective users of its products.
On March 31, 2016, the AEC industry lost one of the world's leading architects, Zaha Hadid. In memoriam, AECbytes is publishing this excerpt from its 2010 BIM Evaluation Study Report exploring the implementation of BIM applications at Zaha Hadid Architects.
March 16, 2016
January 15, 2016
December 15, 2015
October 22, 2015
July 30, 2015
June 17, 2015
April 20, 2015
March 18, 2015
January 29, 2015
Features from the AECbytes Archives
- Extending BIM to Infrastructure
- Now that BIM has conquered the building industry and is here to stay, this article explores the application of the same "information modeling" concept to infrastructure.
- The "Internet of Things" in AEC
- While the "Internet of Things" can be used to make buildings with smarter controls and sensors once they are built, and inhabited, can it also be applied in the design and construction phases?
- Measuring BIM's Disruption: Understanding Value Networks of BIM/VDC In this article, John Tobin, Director of Architecture at EYP, shares his insights on how the two contrasting types of innovation, "sustaining" and "disruptive" — as popularized in the book, The Innovator's Dilemma — can be applied to the AEC technology industry.
- Bentley ProjectWise and Autodesk Vault Collaboration AEC: AECbytes Survey Results
- This article captures the results of a recent survey conducted by AECbytes comparing Bentley's ProjectWise with Autodesk's Vault Collaboration AEC for data management and collaboration in AEC.
- Sutter Medical Center Castro Valley: Case Study of an IPD Project
- While IPD is still more of a goal than a reality for most of the AEC industry, there are a few ground-breaking projects that are already using this new collaboration and delivery method. This case study explores one such project.