A key acquisition that Bentley recently acquired was LEGION for pedestrian simulation. Given that human behavior is far from predictable, how does this actually work? This article explores the technology in more detail, looking at other applications in the field and delving deeper into LEGION.
This article captures the latest updates on automated code compliance in the AEC industry, with new commercial and research efforts as well as some exploratory efforts in governments to determine how it could be applied to streamline the approvals process by regulatory agencies.
This article discusses the divisive architectural style of New Brutalism, which was developed in European cities in the 1950s and 60s, and asks whether or not our current planning capabilities would have, had they been available then, prevented its rise.
This article by Meghna Patnaik describes a feasibility study she did for the development of solar power as an affordable clean energy technology for an underprivileged community in Purkal, India.
February 28, 2018
December 14, 2017
September 14, 2017
May 25, 2017
February 9, 2017
January 26, 2017
September 22, 2016
May 5, 2016
April 13, 2016
March 16, 2016
January 15, 2016
December 15, 2015
October 22, 2015
July 30, 2015
June 17, 2015
April 20, 2015
March 18, 2015
January 29, 2015
Features from the AECbytes Archives
- Extending BIM to Infrastructure
- Now that BIM has conquered the building industry and is here to stay, this article explores the application of the same "information modeling" concept to infrastructure.
- The "Internet of Things" in AEC
- While the "Internet of Things" can be used to make buildings with smarter controls and sensors once they are built, and inhabited, can it also be applied in the design and construction phases?
- Measuring BIM's Disruption: Understanding Value Networks of BIM/VDC In this article, John Tobin, Director of Architecture at EYP, shares his insights on how the two contrasting types of innovation, "sustaining" and "disruptive" — as popularized in the book, The Innovator's Dilemma — can be applied to the AEC technology industry.
- Bentley ProjectWise and Autodesk Vault Collaboration AEC: AECbytes Survey Results
- This article captures the results of a recent survey conducted by AECbytes comparing Bentley's ProjectWise with Autodesk's Vault Collaboration AEC for data management and collaboration in AEC.
- Sutter Medical Center Castro Valley: Case Study of an IPD Project
- While IPD is still more of a goal than a reality for most of the AEC industry, there are a few ground-breaking projects that are already using this new collaboration and delivery method. This case study explores one such project.