The updates in the nascent field of automated code compliance, including commercial solutions that range from simply digitizing the code-checking process to full-fledged BIM-enabled automated code-checking, as well as a research initiative that seems particularly promising.
An indepth look at the sustainable design toolkit used by Orcutt Winslow Partnership (OWP) including ArchiCAD, Sefaira, Velux, Athena, and Climate Consultant, as well as interoperability, custom schedules, and the use of templates.
An overview of some of the most compelling projects that were nominated for Bentley's 2016 Be Inspired Awards in different infrastructure categories from around the world.
This first AECbytes article of 2017 summarizes the main AEC technology highlights of 2016 and aims to identify the key trends going forward, looking at where we currently are and where we are headed.
September 22, 2016
May 5, 2016
April 13, 2016
March 16, 2016
January 15, 2016
December 15, 2015
October 22, 2015
July 30, 2015
June 17, 2015
April 20, 2015
March 18, 2015
January 29, 2015
Features from the AECbytes Archives
- Extending BIM to Infrastructure
- Now that BIM has conquered the building industry and is here to stay, this article explores the application of the same "information modeling" concept to infrastructure.
- The "Internet of Things" in AEC
- While the "Internet of Things" can be used to make buildings with smarter controls and sensors once they are built, and inhabited, can it also be applied in the design and construction phases?
- Measuring BIM's Disruption: Understanding Value Networks of BIM/VDC In this article, John Tobin, Director of Architecture at EYP, shares his insights on how the two contrasting types of innovation, "sustaining" and "disruptive" — as popularized in the book, The Innovator's Dilemma — can be applied to the AEC technology industry.
- Bentley ProjectWise and Autodesk Vault Collaboration AEC: AECbytes Survey Results
- This article captures the results of a recent survey conducted by AECbytes comparing Bentley's ProjectWise with Autodesk's Vault Collaboration AEC for data management and collaboration in AEC.
- Sutter Medical Center Castro Valley: Case Study of an IPD Project
- While IPD is still more of a goal than a reality for most of the AEC industry, there are a few ground-breaking projects that are already using this new collaboration and delivery method. This case study explores one such project.